The Automotive Recyclers Association (ARA) is pleased to announce that is a partner in a national program that will help cut mercury air emissions by up to 75 tons over the next 15 years. The National Vehicle Mercury Switch Recovery Program is designed to remove mercury convenience light switches from scrap vehicles before the vehicles are flattened, shredded, and melted to make new steel.
The National Vehicle Mercury Switch Recovery Program is the result of a two-year collaborative effort involving the Automotive Recyclers Association, EPA, the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers, the American Iron and Steel Institute, the Steel Manufacturers Association, the Institute of Scrap Recycling Industries, Environmental Defense, the Ecology Center (Ann Arbor), and representatives of the Environmental Council of the States.
- National Vehicle Mercury Switch Recovery Memorandum of Understanding (MOU)
- ARA Press Release
- Photos from the official signing ceremony, held on August 11, 2006
- End of Life Vehicle Solutions (ELVS) MOU Summary
- ELVS Educational Resources for Removing Switches
Click Here to view an informational and promotional brochure on the NVMSRP.
Additional Related Links
Visit these sites for more information on mercury convenience light switch removal:
- United States EPA Mercury News Updates & Information
- ELVS Home Page - Sign up to receive your collection bucket
- US EPA "Road Map for Mercury" - EPA's outline for addressing mercury removal
- New York State Clean Car Campaign
- Pacific Northwest P2 Center - Final Report Auto Mercury Switch Removal Programs (PDF)
- Idaho State Guide on Mercury Switch Removal (PDF)
- Vehicles that Contain Mercury Switches - (PDF) Published by Minnesota P2 Center
- California Mercury Switch Removal Best Practices (PDF)
- Maine DEP Report on Automotive Mercury Switch Removal (PDF) (Jan 2004)
- Maine Auto Dismantlers Guide to Removing Mercury Switches (PDF) (2005)
- New Hampshire Management Requirements for Handlers of Mercury (Fact Sheet)
- New Hampshire Mercury Switch Collection Project
- Toxics in Vehicles: Mercury (PDF) - A Report by the Ecology Center (Jan. 2001)
- Wisconsin Mercury Sourcebook: The Automotive Sector (Guide in Draft Form)
Guides for Mercury Switch Removal (Distributed by US EPA Region 5)
|Removing Chrysler Hood Mercury Switches ( 1985-1995 models)|
|Removing Ford Hood & Trunk Mercury Switches|
|Removing 1998 Ford Trunk Lighting Assembly Mercury Switches|
|Removal and Replacement of GM Hood Lighting Assembly Switches (1970 - 1998 models)|
|Removal & Replacement of GM Retangular Hood Assembly Switches (1980-1998 models)|
|Removal & Replacement of GM Trunk Lighting Assembly Switches (1970-1998 models)|
ARA Staff Contact: Anthony Livingston, Director, Government Affairs at email@example.com, or 703-385-1001 x18.